Thursday, April 06, 2006

Cynthia McKinney and Selective Prosecution



“[The Senators and Representatives] shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same;
“Commenter Gunner brought that one to our attention. Now, one of us went to Law School, and the other one used to see Law & Order cast members around town, so we know our Constitution. Initially, we read it the same way as Gunner — Rep. McKinney was ABOVE THE LAW. But once our lawyer half busted out his pocket constitution, desperately tried to remember 1st year Con Law, and eventually gave up and called someone who knew, we figured that that provision (called the Speech and Debate Clause) does not give a Representative immunity. The important bit comes later, about how Reps “shall not be questioned in any other Place” about speech on the floor. So, in other words, Cynthia can still be booked by the po-po, as long as she’s not on her way to or from a House session (stay at your desk! Don’t leave the floor!).
“Oh well. We still think she’s awesome.”


“I like my congresswoman, so leave her alone. She has the courage to speak truth to power and hasn't gotten into any truly revolting trouble. At least Cynthia McKinney stood in opposition to a runaway administration. Last time I checked, she certainly didn't start an ill-advised war that has led to the deaths of 2,400 military personnel.”
DERRICK LYLE COLEMAN, Decatur
What? No taser?
“I agree with Rep. Cynthia McKinney. The Capitol Hill police officer acted improperly. After he was assaulted, he should have subdued her with a taser gun or flattened her to the ground before leading her away in handcuffs --- just like any other reasonable citizen would expect to be treated.”
PAT FANTIS, Marietta
Whites don't see blacks as equals
“I moved into my present neighborhood in 1987. During the first four to five years, when I was out mowing my lawn, whites driving by would stop to ask me what I would charge them to do their lawns. Apparently, it never occurred to them that I was mowing my own lawn. One day, I was fed up and really gave the next guy who asked a good piece of my mind, profanity and all.
I have been a guest at five-star hotels and had whites ask me for directions to their rooms. I have entered corporate meetings and been asked to replenish their coffee or a pitcher of water. While attending a conference at a major hotel, I have even had other hotel guests ask me to get their bags out of their car. Apparently it doesn't matter how I am dressed; I am never perceived as an equal. It just makes me wanna holler!”
HANK THOMAS, Stone Mountain
Arresting question
“Why is there an arrest warrant being issued for Cynthia McKinney for "assaulting" a security guard by snatching her arm out of his hands, but ol' Dick Cheney was actually hunting without a valid hunting license (since hunting season was over) and shot a man, without any repercussions whatsoever? Boy, I know what I want to come back as in my next life.”


by Rep. Cynthia McKinney
[This is a transcript of Rep. McKinney's remarks on September 14 at the reception for the Congressional Black Caucus.]
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/31/mckinney.police/

No comments: